Welcome!

Posted by on 28 Jun 2012 | Tagged as: General

Meeting
The next meeting of the Oronoco Area History Center members will be on Tuesday, April 8, 2014 at 7:00 PM.

Open House
The next Open House will be on Saturday, April 12, 2014, from 10:00 a.m. to Noon. Everyone is invited to stop by.

Facebook
The Oronoco Area History Center now has a Facebook page! Please stop by and check it out.

Guestbook
First time visitor? Have a comment about the site or Oronoco history that you’d like to share? Feel free to sign our Guestbook!

Questions?
If you would like to submit a question privately to the admins, please use the Contact form.

Thank you for visiting!

Updated 03/22/14

1935 News

Posted by on 11 Oct 2011 | Tagged as: General

The Oronoco Area History Center was pleased to find this gem, a copy of a 1935 newspaper containing many interesting advertisements and articles too numerous to mention. The paper itself is not in good condition and would be difficult to preserve if further investigation were to be made.

Oronoco Couple Observe Anniversary
(Excerpt from the Pine Island Record, March 14, 1935)

Several Guests Were Present That Attended Ceremony Fifty Years Ago; Open House Was Held At Their Home Tuesday Afternoon

At the home in Oronoco village where fifty years ago, Miss Carrie J. Fifield, only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John C. Fifield, pioneers of this section, became the wife of Lanteen Huntsinger, son of Mr. Arthur Huntsinger and wife, also pioneer residents of Pine Island township, over half a hundred relatives and friends gathered Sunday to do them honor. The bride was born in South Mazeppa, Wabasha County, and came to a farm a mile and a half east of this village in 1864, when but an infant. The groom’s birthplace was in Waushara County, Wisconsin, near Wautoma, when a small boy, his parents brought him to Pine Island township, Goodhue County, where his mother died a few years later. In 1874 the father having remarried, the family moved to the old homestead a mile east of Oronoco village now owned by E. A Huntsinger.

Continue Reading »

School Days Open House

Posted by on 11 Oct 2011 | Tagged as: General

The public was invited to the School Days Open House at the Oronoco Area History Center in September and October, 2011. The pictures shown below were taken at one of the events. Much of the work was done by Mary Fuller, Vice President. Treasurer Kris Wiens and President Barbara Smallbrock also helped.

School Days Open House
This display shows some of the various classes held at Oronoco School.

School Days Open House
Here are some visitors, members of the Zimmerman Family.

School Days Open House
Here is a donor, Dan Anderson, and Kris Wiens looking through some of his items.

School Days Open House
Here Kris Wiens poses with Mrs. Zimmerman.

School Days Open House
Another display showing lists of students and pictures of classes from other Oronoco Area Schools.

School Days Open House
Kris Wiens made a chart showing where Oronoco Area schools existed in earlier years.

School Days Open House
Other School information including a picture of the first Oronoco Schoolhouse.

School Days Open House
President Barbara Smallbrock brought some good home-made peanut butter cookies to share with workers and visitors. In this picture, she is putting together a scrapbook as she waits for more visitors. She has placed several scrapbooks and albums at the Center already, but she keeps clipping newspaper article and fitting them into more books.

History of Oronoco Downtown Gold Rush

Posted by on 30 Jul 2011 | Tagged as: Oronoco Stories

War Veterans 2011

History of Oronoco Downtown Gold Rush
(from Interview with Mary Lou Berg in 2011;
Photo above from 1986 Rochester Post Bulletin)

Earl and Mary Lou Berg started selling live bait and tackle from their Oronoco garage in 1961. Two years later they bought the big brick building next to the bridge in uptown Oronoco and moved their bait business there. They added groceries, picnic supplies, and beer for tourists and fishermen.

The store was open from 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. They lived for two years in the back of the store in a partitioned-off area.

The brick building had been empty. It had belonged to the Ondler family and was a grocery and general store. It was still open in 1959, but was empty when the Bergs bought it in 1963.

Continue Reading »

Next »